Monday, June 11, 2012

Kitschy Kitchen

And so began our Retro Cookarty Weekend....

My immaculate workstation!  
Just in case you thought I had the whole table, five of us managed to make paster pieces (incomplete; a work in progress!) at this one table! This photo only shows half of the women who came!


I have (of course) still to finish my altered book, and I will post some photos soon; but first of all, I am posting the recipe swap and my ATC cards.

What an awesome weekend! So good for the soul, *sigh*. I feel like I am jet-lagged or something though, like I have 48hrs or something that I can barely account for.... it went so fast it feels like a bit of a blur! I am all dazed and confused, but gleefully craft-drunk; new term I just made up, I think... feel free to use it ;) Actually, I did feel a little hung over on Saturday for no good reason other than needing some more sleep and a good coffee. I got the coffee :)

I was not the only one to pick a red and white themed card. I don't know why but it was an immovable decision for me. I don't have a red kitchen, btw. And if I was going to have a retro kitchen (bring it on!) I would choose a pastel teal/lemon sort of combo. I think. But my tastes are many and varied, and if I ever settle on the 'perfect' kitchen, I will probably die of surprise (at my usually non-existent decision making prowess) and then it will be of no use to me.... Any-whoo... I found this dinky little advertisement of a Mother and Daughter wearing aprons, the selling point reading 'for thrifty Moms and Daughters too'. As it happens, my daughter and I do seem to have matching aprons. Completely by fluke, but there you have it. It looks cute on her, not so much on me but that is another story.

So, picture and colour theme in hand and mind, I raided the art supplies. I used acrylic paint, inks, copic  markers, crackle, florist wrap, cupcake papers, paper doily, wool and thread, jump rings and shrink plastic. After getting them all to shape and size etc, I sewed them all together with my little beast of a machine. (You think I'm kidding. Well, maybe more of a mouse than a beast, but it would like to be a beast if it ever grows up - which I doubt, and so is practising....)

And here are the results. :)

Stamp - original size next to jump rings for comparison





Detail of cutlery






And to finish, something sweet.... I made my grandmother's Harmony Tarts for the weekend's er, sustenance, and swapped the recipe. And it was delicious..... I saw more than one worn out artist go back for more than seconds, and I have to say that it was deeply gratifying! I am only sorry I forgot to take a photo of them first! But here is the recipe.


Grandma’s Harmony Tarts

1 roll puff flaky pastry
2 egg whites (3 if small)
½C sugar per egg
¼C coconut per egg
Lemon essence
Raspberry jam

Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar, then fold in coconut and lemon essence. Cut pastry to fit greased muffin tins and prick. Add a small teaspoon of jam to each and spoon meringue over. Cook in hot (200C) oven and watch. If meringue burns, turn oven down. Remove when pastry cooked. Run knife around pastry and cool in tray.




No comments:

Post a Comment