Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Le Freak

Singing again?

How about  NOW?

Our group ATC topic for August (how fast is this year going?!) was Carnival.

If you have read through this blog, or know me AT ALL you will be aware of the passion I have for all things  Brazilian. Country, people, language, food, drink... and Carnival is something, I am sure most people are aware, that they are ESPECIALLY good at! But when we use the words 'carnival' and 'Brazil' in close proximity most people are inclined to think of the Sambadrome, where the Samba Schools parade down the middle of a long arena with huge bleachers on either side. If you are exceptionally good looking, which I have to say, most Brazilian in fact ARE, you generally wear very little. Actually, you don't have to be all that good looking! So long as you are having a good time! But it would be fair to say most people would imagine something like this:



I found the movie 'Rio' was actually pretty good in reflecting some of the character of Rio during carnival. Especially if you are looking for something age appropriate! It is also just a lot of fun! Tangent! (We've been studying the Olympics in our homeschool, we'd all like to go to the 2016 games here!)



However, I spent Carnival in Salvador. Ah, Bahia....... Que saudades...... Where was I? Oh yes, Salvador. And they have the street parties, but not in the perfectly choreographed and costumed. To give you some idea Carnival in the North East started something like this:

Trio Electrico 
 A 'Trio Electrico' - a band, on a car with some speakers... good start to a street party, no?
Over the years the car grew. Add many, many more speakers, and more musicians on top...

Trio Electrical, Salvador ca 2005
To complete your Bloco, add: lights, sound, people... and you get something like THIS:

Chiclete com Banana!
It is less refined than Rio, but audience participation is obligatory! Try not dancing in this environment, it is inescapably contagious. This is were I learned to samba. Needless to say my samba is more 'freestyle' than 'classical'... :)


I asked my Brazilian friends what Carnival makes them think of.... here is a broad selection of answers:

Fun, passion, imagination, 
indefinable emotion, music, 
HUGE party, people,
dancing - everyone together/togetherness, 
contagious joy, beer, Trio Electrico,
 happiness....

Essentially, that is exactly what I thought of when I was trying to conjure up what Carnival in Salvador had meant to me. It was AMAZING and INDESCRIBABLE. Or at the very least, absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to capture on a 2.5" x 3.5" card!!

That is a long, but educational (well, I enjoyed it!) way of say that I had to go back to the drawing board...

You've had to long story, so here is the short. I thought Carnival side shows would be fun. I deliberately  skipped over some of the more 'interesting' (read 'gross'!) photos available; think elephant man, limbs growing where they shouldn't - there are some REALLY um, out - there photos to be googled. But I decided if it made my skin crawl just a little bit, it wasn't really fitting my scope for the more 'fun' aspect to Carnival and wasn't going to make the cut. *shiver* To play it reasonably safe, I stuck to Bearded and Tattooed Ladies and the like. You'll see :)

I wanted to incorporate that "peep show" idea, where they are veiled, or in a tent/behind a curtain and it is drawn back to reveal the HORROR - Be Shocked! kind of feel. So I decided to make the cards into a matchbox kind of fold. So I doubled the length and added a little flap to try and keep it closed. Which only works if you don't put too much inside. Like I never would.... I ran some black Bazzill through the Cuttlebug with a Tim Holtz Subway embossing folder that reminded me of carnivals, which I inked roughly and stapled some tickets to. Once more I find myself having to apologise for the photos. I always seem to leave it until the moment I am about to walk out the door to give them away before I remember that I haven't taken them and it is a bit of a rush. One day.....





Inside I used a doily die, glitter and nail varnish (usually on hand around here), organza and gold cord and various card stock and pens. Initially I intended for them to look as if there were on some sort of stage, but in the end I just doodled and assembled. I love art rules! 

Tattooed Lady

Contortionist - always freaky

Tattooed Lady - She would have scared me!

Technically not a Side Show Artist. Evidently she is one of the first Burlesque dancers. I loved the way it looked like she loves her job.... you'd better enjoy her show, or else!

Bearded Lady

Another Tattooed Lady - I just loved the images. What a facial expression; I wonder what she was like as a person....

Not sure what their act was, but it is a fun picture!

As far as Siamese Twins go, these two were practically normal compared to some of them!

I thought she looked nice and friendly. Put her in a high neck shirt and pants and you'd never know...






No comments:

Post a Comment